Welcome to the Rowers submission page!
Thanks for your interest in reading at Rowers. If you are interested in applying, please download our submission form and email it to email@example.com with ROWERS READING SUBMISSION in the subject line. We read all submissions and will contact you if you are a good fit for our series.
Here are some things you should know about how we plan our reading series.
- Rowers generally runs the first Tuesday of the month October through June (so please do not pitch us for summer or mid-month dates!)
- We have approximately 36 slots per year.
- We balance genre, gender, diversity and arts council priority/equity groups when making our selections.
- Only published authors of one full book or the spoken word equivalent are eligible for consideration.
- We will consider self-published authors who are eligible for Writers’ Union of Canada membership.
- Rowers programs the series both on suggestions from authors and publicists, but also through meeting or learning about new authors through readings, media and other sources. We also respond when possible to requests from regular attendees – through our occasional survey – who tell us whom they would like to see on our stage as a future reader.
- Featured readers are selected well in advance and must be approved by the Rowers board.
- Planning for the series happens in the first months of the year in advance of the Canada Council for the Arts (June) and Ontario Arts Council (February) grant deadlines. Additional planning happens in advance of the August Toronto Arts Council grant deadline and then later in the fall when we receive our grant application results.
- To be considered for the Rowers Reading Series, publishers or publicists are welcome to submit our online form along with a biography and details about the author’s most recent publications, as well as relevant press clippings or award details.
- We prefer submissions that are made well in advance of the proposed reading dates.
- Please include information about the availability of the author in Toronto, such as whether they live in Toronto and have a flexible schedule.
- For out-of-town authors, please let us know about availability dates and travel funding.
- Certain months are extremely popular (i.e., spring and fall dates), so be sure to note if you are available in quieter months.
- Note: we appreciate and look favourably upon Toronto-based authors who have supported our series and attended our events in the past. We also appreciate authors who can promote their appearances and encourage local attendance